The third edition of Minimum Construction Requirements for Water Bores in Australiahas been developed by the National Uniform Drillers Licensing Committee.
This book outlines the minimum requirements for constructing, maintaining, rehabilitating, and decommissioning water bores in Australia. It is used extensively by regulators and the drilling industry, and provides a consistent standard reference across Australia for the licensing of bores and drillers. The requirements focus on protecting groundwater resources from contamination, deterioration, and uncontrolled flow associated with poorly constructed bores, and on the construction of bores to provide a good water supply.
The first edition was published in 1997 and it has been reviewed periodically to keep it current. This third edition is the outcome of an extensive review process.
It draws on the combined experience and knowledge of the drilling industry and regulators, and incorporates submissions from both groups. The authorities listed in Section 2 can direct you to further copies and/or respond to your enquiries. The major features of this edition are:
• the separation of the requirements into mandatory requirements and good industry practice
• the development of principles, which are the critical elements in constructing, maintaining, rehabilitating, and decommissioning bores, and protecting the groundwater resource of Australia
• significant updates of some technical aspects, including casing, sealing, and bore head completion
• that it is written in plain English.
Mandatory requirements are enforceable by regulators for the protection of the groundwater resource. Good industry practice draws on the industry’s experience and describes methods and techniques which, while not mandatory, are recommended to:
• help satisfy mandatory requirements
• provide efficient and cost-effective water bores
• ensure the long-term efficiency and operation of the water bore.
Earlier editions have been well received and well supported by the drilling community and regulators. On behalf of the National Uniform Drillers Licensing Committee, I recommend the third edition of Minimum Construction Requirements for Water Bores in Australia to you.
National Uniform Drillers Licensing Committee